Safeguarding Training – Mothers’ Union Diocese of Oxford
The Diocese safeguarding policy and guidelines indicate that EVERYONE involved in Children’s Young People or Vulnerable Adult ministries should receive training soon after they start, and at least every three years thereafter. There is a new requirement for more of those in leadership to receive training as well, in order that safeguarding might become part of the DNA of the body of Christ.
There are new training courses produced by the national CofE Safeguarding team, which are different from those previously available, and most people find them very helpful and interesting.
The courses now available and which may concern you are:
- Basic Awareness (formerly C0) – only available online
- Foundation (formerly C1) – required for all who are involved in CYP or VA work, now also available online.
- Leadership (formerly C2 or C3) – required for those in positions of leadership
The online Basic Awareness Course needs to be done before any of the others It covers material that cannot easily be addressed in the public course. Please follow the instructions below to register for the course, which takes about an hour to complete. When you have completed it, please inform your Branch Leader and your Parish Safeguarding Officer, explaining that you are undertaking this training as part of your work through the Mothers’ Union:
- Connect to the following link: https://safeguardingtraining.cofeportal.org/ .
- Choose the Online Courses option and create an account to begin using the materials.
- Clearly detail which parish you belong to and that this is part of the Diocese of Oxford.
- For Training Institution please select ‘Not part of a Training Institution.’
- The training is free to use and does not have to be completed in one sitting. If you are already somewhat familiar with the material it can be quicker to read through the material without listening to the voice-over.
- If you have problems with accessing the course online, please contact your Parish Safeguarding Officer or the MU Diocesan Safeguarding Officer.
The Foundation Course (formerly C1) can also be accessed through the same portal and takes about 2 hours to complete or you can ask to attend a face-to-face course, either run in your deanery or centrally at Church House Oxford.
The Leadership Course (formerly C2 or C3) is a face-to-face course.
Both of these courses are also available at a variety of locations around the Diocese and can be booked via the Diocesan website
Click on the link below for a printable version of this page
Please direct any questions or comments to…
Revd Lady Denise Brown
MU Diocesan Safeguarding Officer
Mobile: 07884 493923