Many of you have said there is great difficulty in attracting younger people into MU membership.
Here are a few ideas to grow membership across the age-groups.
1. A good display in your church – refreshed a few times a year, using table and backboard if possible. Have Perspex holders for MU leaflets and invite people to take one (link to order form for leaflets available through the Diocese). Include a clear message of MU aims and details of who to contact to become a member. Topics over the year might be:
- Wave of Prayer
- Make a Mothers’ Day
- AFIA holidays
- 16 days of Activism
- Diocesan projects
- Baptism / Marriage support
2. Admit members within a main church service.
3. Present a written report for the APCM, with an MU rep to stand up and say – “this is how we make a difference at home and abroad – join us because we need to sustain this energy. Prayers and financial support are just as valuable as meeting attendance”.
4. Involve the whole church and community when raising funds for Diocesan, national and global projects. For example hold cake stall after the Sunday service. For a sponsorship event, have sponsor forms available in the churches. Advertise events in village and parish magazines.
5. Arrange a couple of evening meetings during the year (or a Saturday / Sunday afternoon) with subjects that will attract a wider range of people. Such as a Parenting Taster evening (ask for help from the Diocese); enriching marriage; MU work overseas. Find catchy titles and involve people with experience and knowledge.
6. Identify someone who has a particular skill MU member or not, for example, card making. Run a workshop and make Easter cards to send to people on your parish prayer list. Be sure to have an insert: “Made on behalf of the *** branch of The Mothers’ Union”.
7. Get involved with Mother & Toddler groups in the community as well as Pram Service or similar church events for pre-schoolers and parents. Have copies of Families First to distribute and other MU literature available.