We all know we are supposed to eat five or more portions of fruit and vegetables each day, but what is a portion? Does it have to be fresh? Can I count fruit juice? Are chips a vegetable?
Here is our handy guide to what’s what…
A portion of fresh fruit or veg is around 80g. This equates to roughly:
- 1 medium apple, pear, orange, peach, nectarine, tomato etc.
- 2 clementines, satsumas, plums or equivalent size fruit.
- 2 handfuls of blueberries or raspberries.
- a dessert bowl full of lettuce or salad leaves.
- 3 heaped tablespoons of chopped up or small veg (e.g. sliced carrots, peas, runner beans etc.).
- 3 heaped tablespoons of pulses (you can only count one portion of these towards your 5 a day).
- Around 1 heaped tablespoon of dried fruit (e.g. sultanas, fruit mix, cherries) is one portion.
- Tinned fruit and veg also counts, just try to equate to the portions outlined above.
Only one of your 5 a day can be a 150ml glass of fruit juice or a smoothie, no matter how many glasses you actually drink.
…and no, sorry, chips don’t count!